'harmless' PCR test

John Ladasky jladasky at pmgm.Stanford.EDU
Tue Dec 8 07:17:01 EST 1998

In article <74arda$92j$1 at news.worldonline.nl>,
J. Hendriks <hendrikb at worldonline.nl> wrote:

>John F Mackay wrote:<01BE1D39.BAE713C0.MackayJF at bmnz.co.nz>...
>>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am looking for a 'fun' (for want of a better word) PCR test to introduce
>>people to molecular diagnostics. I checked out a physical performance gene
>>(in Nature earlier this year) but checking the references, it looks like a
>>particular genotype from this particular assay is a cardiac risk marker!
>>
>>Scratch that one.
>>
>>I would be grateful if anyone could suggest a harmless candidate gene and
>>the appropriate reference for primer sequences.....
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>John
>>
>How about a householdgene like beta-2 microglobin. It works all the time and
>is easy to perform.
>Good luck
>Brenda Hendriks

For this assay to be of interest to a genetics class, the gene in question
would need to be polymorphic.  There are no defined polymorphisms in the
human beta-2 microglobulin sequence.

--
Rainforest laid low.
"Wake up and smell the ozone,"