why no 28S RNA?

Hemant Chikarmane hchikarmane at mediaone.net
Thu Dec 10 11:19:06 EST 1998

Ned Mantei wrote:

> In article <199812050855.QAA13023 at nic>, jing at NIC.HBU.EDU.CN wrote:
>
> > Dear netters,
> >
> > I have made total RNAs from earthworm for many many times,
> > but only got 18S band on agarose gel, no 28S band at all. I
> > could get 28S and 18S RNAs with other materials such as fish
> > egges and chiken liver. It doesn't like being digested by
> > RNase, because the 18S band was very sharp and small band
> > down the gel was not much .
>
> There are some species in which at least one of the rRNAs has a
> single-stranded break. Could it be that earthworm RNA is like this, and
> that the products run together with the 18S RNA?

Several years ago, I remember reading a paper about several animals (worms
and some marine molluscs included) that do not have a 28S rRNA band
showing up on gels.  Apparently, the RNA is in two pieces that comigrates
with the 18S band.

One of the molluscs is Aplysia californica (seaslug).

Hemant Chikarmane
Marine Biological Laboratory
Woods Hole, MA 02543