Stock solutions of spermine/spermidine?

Dr. Peter Gegenheimer PGegen at UKans.nolospamare.edu
Thu Dec 10 11:07:56 EST 1998

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:03:43, roney.graf at uni-konstanz.de (Roney Graf) wrote:

>    I need to prepare stock solutions of spermine and spermidine for use in
> some buffers. Unfortunately, I can't find any references on recommended
> solvent (H2O I assume), concentrations, pH/buffering requirements,
> storage/stability. Can anybody help??
>
>    Thanks in advance,
>
> roney

I know that spermidine.3HCl can be prepared in water to a concentration of 0.1 M
spermidine, and probably 1.0 M (don't remember which). The pH can be adjusted to 8.0
to maximize solubility. According to the information I had the last time I made a
stock, the solution can be autoclaved. (I've done this but didn't try to determine
that the product wa still intact.)

PG

| Dr. Peter Gegenheimer       | Vox: 785-864-3939  FAX: 785-864-5321   |
| Department of               |   PGegen at UKans.nospam.edu              |
|   Molecular Biosciences     |   http://rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu/       |
|   & Dept. Evol Biology      |                                        |
| University of Kansas        |"When you have excluded the impossible, |
| 2045 Haworth Hall           |  whatever remains, however improbable, |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106    |  must be the truth."      S. Holmes    |