Could you tell me the difference between Alignment and Consensus?

bioinfo at bioinfo at
Mon Dec 14 22:40:18 EST 1998

Dear Jian li: Alignment is obtained after placing similar bases present in
multiple sequences one below the other. This follows certain rules so that
the optimized alignment is obtained. Now the regions that are similar in all
of the sequences are called consensus regions. These regions are of
particular importance for drawing phylogenetic trees etc. I have been using
this for multiple purposes. Ravi Gupta School of Biotechnology, D A
University, MP, India. m_ravi_gupta at

In article <B0000011131 at>,
  lijian at wrote:
> Dear Netters:
> Could you tell me the difference between Alignment and Consensus in the
sequence analysis of nucleic acid?