Could you tell me the difference between Alignment and Consensus?

vinsin at my-dejanews.com vinsin at my-dejanews.com
Tue Dec 15 02:03:27 EST 1998

Dear Li,

Alignment is the step you perform to analyse the simmilarity between two
sequences. Now its result can also be called as an alignment but consensus is
the region between sequences aligned having homology in between.
Hope this solves your query.

In article <B0000011131 at lserver.life.sdu.edu.cn>,
  lijian at life.sdu.edu.cn wrote:
> Dear Netters:
> Could you tell me the difference between Alignment and Consensus in the
sequence analysis of nucleic acid?