Hank's Salt Solution?

alex dobrovic adobrovic at medicine.adelaide.edu.au
Tue Dec 15 03:19:51 EST 1998

Hanks Balanced Salt Solution can be used as a replacement for PBS. It
contains  D-glucose which  might just keep your cells a little happier. As
for PBS, there are a a number of formulations. See a Gibco BRL catalog for
full details.

The most important thing is to know whether you require Ca++ and Mg++ ions
in your formulation or not.

 >Hi!
>
>I've discovered some bottles of Hank's salt solution in the fridge.
>Before I pour it down the drain, could anyone please tell me if I
>should better keep it? Is it of any use in cell culture procedures?
>(Replacement for PBS?).
>
>All suggestions are welcome!
>
>Wolfgang
>-----
>usual disclaimers apply * This message is RNAse free - please don't touch!
>-----
>Wolfgang Schechinger
>University of Tuebingen, Germany
>email: wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de * wwWait:
>http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm
>-------

Alexander Dobrovic, Ph.D.
Chief Medical Scientist
Department of Haematology-Oncology
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Woodville, SA 5011, Australia

Tel 011 (or your countries' international code) 61-8-8222 7676
Fax 011 (or your countries' international code) 61-8-8222 6046
adobrovi at medicine.adelaide.edu.au