Blunt end ligation problem

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Wed Dec 16 10:28:20 EST 1998

In article <see_sig-1612981516060001 at 192.168.0.84>,
Richard P. Grant <rgrant at netscape.net> wrote:

>As someone else has said, CIP sucks.  Shrimp Alk Phos (USB and Roche,

CIP doesn't really suck, but you need to be careful with it.  NEB gives
instructions on how much CIP to use per mole of DNA ends.  Follow those
instructions exactly. That usually means that you have to dilute the CIP
ten-fold or so.  If you don't dilute it, and use too much CIP, the ends
get screwy and you get very inefficient ligation.

When I had my tiny epiphany and started following the directions, CIP
suddenly started working just fine for me.

Ian