Drying SDS-PAGE gels

kevin gilbride gilbride at bu.edu
Fri Dec 18 21:02:12 EST 1998

In article <3666609F.6E1457E0 at mbi.uib.no>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?= Olav
Kvamme <Bjorn.Kvamme at mbi.uib.no> wrote:

> Hi,
> i'm purifying and analysing several small proteins. One standard method
> used is to run high percentage (25%) SDS-PAGE gels. The gels are
> standard minigels runned in a BioRad Minigel system with standard
> buffers and composition. This is working well, but the problem arises
> when I tries to dry the gels using a BioRad Vacum Geldryer system (Model
> 583 Gel Dryer, http://www.bio-rad.com/55368.html). The gels cracks
> badly.
>
> Has anyone a suggestion to a procedure to eliminate this problem?
> (Eg. a special equillibration buffer/solution before drying.)
>

>soaking gels 100% EtOH+10% glycerol may solve your problem or try drying
at a lower temp over an extended period of time. if the gels are stained
with coomassie try drying in a frame between cellophane sheets, kits
available commercially. generally with this high a percentage of
acrylamide the cracking begins at polimerization be sure to degas >15
minutes prior to adding temed.

cheers.
KJG