DNA isolation from hair

Michael Allen m3allen at SCIBORG.UWATERLOO.CA
Sun Feb 1 15:43:01 EST 1998

At 04:52 PM 1/30/98 GMT, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>I was wondering if someone could send me a protocol for isolating DNA from
>hair follicles.  I am searching for a protocol that doesn't require
>anything special other than the average chemicals found in a lab.
>thanks, John Korte

Hi John
We used this in an undergrad course I was TA' ing, and it seemed to work fine

Place 2-3 hairs with good follicles in 100 ul of extraction buffer.
Incubate at 55 C for 1hour, and then at 95 C for 10 minutes.
Use 7.5 ul per 25 ul PCR reaction (if that's what you're using it for)

Extraction buffer:

50 mM KCl                  1.86g
10 mM Tris                 0.61g
2.5 mM MgCl2             0.25g
0.1 mg/ml gelatin         0.05g
0.45%  NP40                2.25 ml
0.45%  Tween 20          2.25 ml

pH to 8.3 at room temperature.

Add ddH2O to 500 ml and autoclave (it will look white until it cools).

Hope this helps

Mike

                     Michael Allen
                    Ph. D. student