His-tagged protein, urea & antibody production

Koen De Smet k.desmet at nospam.ic.ac.uk
Mon Feb 2 03:47:55 EST 1998

Glenda Lawrence wrote:
> Hi.
> Does anyone have ideas or experience re- the best
> way to remove urea before injecting recombinant
> protein into rabbits for antibody production?
> How much urea can be tolerated?
> The protein is a His-tagged protein (insoluble) purified
> and eluted in 8M urea, 20mM Tris, 150mM NaCl and 200mM imidazole.
> Thanks,
> Glenda Lawrence

I don't know if this is the "best way", but we have succesfully produced
antisera by dialysing the urea away. In most cases, the recombinant
His-tagged protein preciptated, but that does not matter. YOu can still
make a suspension with incomplete Freunds adjuvant

Koen De Smet
==>> To reply by email, remove "nospam." from the address <<==
     Imperial College School of Medicine at St Mary's