DNA isolation from hair

Gary Kucera gtk10583 at glaxowellcome.com
Mon Feb 2 08:56:17 EST 1998

The following article is from Biotechniqes and should give you the
protocol you need.

Good luck,
Gary

Article Title
Chelex 100 As A Medium For Simple Extraction Of DNA For

Article Abstract
CHELEX 100 AS A MEDIUM FOR SIMPLE EXTRACTION OF DNA FOR PCR-BASED TYPING
FROM FORENSIC MATERIAL.
Procedures utilizing Chelex 100 chelating resin have been developed for
extracting DNA from forensic-type samples for use with the
polymerase chain reaction (PCR). The procedures are simple, rapid,
involve no organic solvents, and do not require multiple tube
transfers for most types of samples. The extraction of DNA from semen
and very small bloodstains using Chelex 100 is as efficient
or more efficient than using Proteinase K and phenol-chloroform
extraction. DNA extracted from bloodstains seems less prone to
contain PCR inhibitors when prepared by this method The Chelex method
has been used with amplification and typing at the HLA
DQ a locus genotypes of many different types of samples, including whole
blood, bloodstains, seminal stains, buccal swab s, hair
and post-coital samples. The results of a concordance study are
presented, in which the DQa genotypes of 84 samples prepared
using Chelex or using conventional phenol-chloroform extraction are
compared. The genotypes obtained using the two differ ent
extraction methods were identical for all samples tested.

Article Authors
Higuchi, Russell; Metzger, David A.; Walsh, Sean P.

Citation
Research Report, Biotechniques, Vol.10, No.4, p.506-513

Topic Keywords
DNA; PCR; Polymerase Chain Reaction;

--
Gary Kucera, Research Scientist