EDTA/Heparin & DNA stability

Achim Recktenwald achim at cam.org
Wed Feb 4 18:43:58 EST 1998

DOCTORHIM at AOL.COM wrote:

> There is some literature on using heparinase to enhance PCR on blood samples.
> Check the entrez browser and search for PCR and heparinase.  If I find the
> reference, I will send it.

I didn't see the original post, but second-guessing from the subject-title, if
the question was what EDTA does to heparinase, I can tell you that it completely
inhibits the activity of the enzyme.
The enzyme is not killed; addition of calcium-ions will overcome the inhibition.
One Ca-ion is part of its tertiary structure and directly involved in the enzyme
activity.

Achim
Achim Recktenwald, Ph.D.
4469 avenue Marcil