LINE inserts.

Joel Guss jg183 at columbia.edu
Sat Feb 7 15:17:51 EST 1998

> A LINE is a retroelement, a retrotransposon.These have no LTRs but do have 3'
> polyA or A-rich regions. They can
> contain 1-2 ORFs which may overlap. One of the ORFs can be a reverse
> transcriptase. They are present at 10^4 to 10^5 copies/genome. Examples of
> LINEs are:
> Karl the hepB guy

Thank you very much for your summary.  Based on the fact that there are
10,000-100,000 copies of LINEs in the genome and that there seem to be
very repetitive sequence motifs, do you think it is at all possible to genotype
such a mutant?
Sometimes, just one 26bp primer alone that recognizes a sequence within
the LINE gives dozens of bands on PCR even under stringent conditions.
I will look up the review you refer to, but if anyone has any advice or
exprience, please share.
Thanks a lot!
                                                -Joel