contaminated Taq

Zophonias O. Jonsson zjons at
Wed Feb 11 07:11:52 EST 1998

In article <34E179C8.26BC at>,
HKP at wrote:

> Hi,
> I´m glad not to be involved in microbiology, since this is a problem I
> never had to think about...but:
> For sure it´s worth to try commercially available water, since you will
> not have any nucleic acids in it. Maybe you can try native Taq (no
> eubacterial sequences?!) or Tfl, which is also purified directly from
> Thermus flavus (?).

Actually the Thermuses are eubacteria just like _E._coli_ but you are
right that native taq may give better results in cases like this, or
alternatively it might be worth giving one of the archaea Pols a shot.  Of
course not a cloned one!

Zophonias O. Jonsson
Institut fur Veterinarbiochemie               Tel: (41-1)-635-54-75
Universitat Zurich-Irchel                     Fax: (41-1)-635-68-16
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich