DNA concentration

Mon Feb 16 17:42:56 EST 1998

At 07:48 PM 2/16/98 GMT, Rick00100 wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I've been trying to gel purify my PCR products using the Qiagen kit.  After
>purification I usually elute the DNA with 50ul water.  To do ligation, I'd like
>to concentrate the DNA to about 6-8 ul.  When I EtOH ppt, I usually got bad
>yield.  I heard that you can just speed-vac the DNA dissolved in water to
>concentrate it.  Is that true?  What about DNA dissolved in buffers?
>
>Thanks
>Rick

Extract with equal vol of 2-butanol or n-butanol till you get the right vol.
that you need. there will be some increase in salt conc.if the DNA is in
buffered, but if you have your DNA in water, it should be of little concern.
Alternatively, simply ppt the DNA and resuspend in the desired vol.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003