[Q] HhaI vs CfoI, HpaII vs HapII

Bob Steinberg rsteinbe at etowah.ouhsc.edu
Mon Feb 16 17:46:20 EST 1998

yshan at tiamat.kaist.ac.kr wrote:

> Dear netters;
> HhaI and CfoI recognize and cut the same site, so do HpaII and HapII.
> But their sources are different. Is there any difference in activity between
> HhaI and CfoI, between HpaII and HapII? We have problem with HpaII digestion
> of genomic DNA. HpaII poorly cut unmethylated sites. I want to know if
> HapII is better than HpaII.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Yoonsoo Hahn
>
> --
>    ____________________________
> __/ LIFE IS SHORT, DNA IS LONG \______________________________________________
> -. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.   . | Yoonsoo Hahn                                |
> ||X|||\ /|||X|||\ /|||X|||\ /| | Molecular Genetics Laboratory               |
> |/ \|||X|||/ \|||X|||/ \|||X|| | Department of Biological Sciences, KAIST    |
> '   `-' `-'   `-' `-'   `-' `- | yshan at bioneer.kaist.ac.kr  (T) 042-869-5261 |
> ------------------------- http://bioneer.kaist.ac.kr/~yshan (P) 015-427-6466 |

Yoonsoo,
I don't know about HapII, but there was a recent article in BioTechniques (Vol.
23: 843-847; Nov. 1997) suggesting that the problem with HpaII is that it likes to
bind to more than one site for good cutting. Using oligonucleotides with a HpaII
site, they could promote cutting of a viral unmethylated HpaII site.

Bob