Killer gene/protein?

Joseph Michael Bay jmbay at leland.Stanford.EDU
Sun Feb 22 00:43:45 EST 1998

Markus Piotrowski <Markus.Piotrowski at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

>Dear netters,

>does exist a protein which kills eucaryotic cells (e.g plant
>cells) in a DIRECT manner (and not by inducing programmed
>cell death)? Any hint would be very helpfull.

Check out:

FASEB J 1994 Feb;8(2):201-208
Ricin: structure, mode of action, and some current applications.
Lord JM, Roberts LM, Robertus JD

Basically, the A chain of ricin renders active ribosomes incapable
of synthesizing proteins (via enzymatic cleavage, I think).
It's very, very, very toxic.  One molecule can kill a cell.  Don't
get any on ya.

--
Joe Bay                        Leland Stanford Junior University
"Bother,"  said Pooh,  as he looked upon the visage of  Cthulhu.