Killer gene/protein?

Joseph Michael Bay jmbay at leland.Stanford.EDU
Sun Feb 22 00:43:45 EST 1998

Markus Piotrowski <Markus.Piotrowski at> writes:

>Dear netters,

>does exist a protein which kills eucaryotic cells (e.g plant
>cells) in a DIRECT manner (and not by inducing programmed
>cell death)? Any hint would be very helpfull.

Check out:

FASEB J 1994 Feb;8(2):201-208
Ricin: structure, mode of action, and some current applications.
Lord JM, Roberts LM, Robertus JD

Basically, the A chain of ricin renders active ribosomes incapable
of synthesizing proteins (via enzymatic cleavage, I think).
It's very, very, very toxic.  One molecule can kill a cell.  Don't
get any on ya.

Joe Bay                        Leland Stanford Junior University
"Bother,"  said Pooh,  as he looked upon the visage of  Cthulhu.
Putting  the  "harm"  in  "Molecular  Pharmacology"  since  1998
Fairness   and   Accuracy   In   Reporting-