Mobility shift problem...

John G. Wise wise at
Mon Feb 23 09:23:23 EST 1998

In our gel retardation assay with crude extracts, we see the free DNA
disappear from the lane with our binding protein, but no shifted band
appears (we have poly d(I-C) or calf thymus DNA present). When we add
unlabeled "specific DNA" to the same sample, the free reappears.  Free
labeled DNA alone gives a nice band. We are using the DIG shift method,
but have no problem with detection, since free is easily seen and since
controls with other DNA/binding protein combinations work fine.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, John
email: wise at