EtBr and heat denatured DNA

Frederik Boernke boernke at ipk-gatersleben.de
Tue Feb 24 15:12:01 EST 1998

Hi all,

lately I prepared carrier DNA for transforming yeast using the Gietz
protocol. I sonicated the solution as long as the average fragment size
ranges around 7 kb which was judged from an agarose gel. I than heat
denatured the DNA and quickly cooled on ice in order to keep it in a
single stranded manner and subsequently checked it again on a gel. But
this time all the DNA, except for some low MW smear, seemed to have
disappeared. Does EtBr not properly stain ssDNA or did I something wrong
in principle?

Cheers
Ricky

Frederik Boernke
Research Group of  Molecular Plant Physiologie
Corrensstr. 3
06466 Gatersleben
Tel.  039482 -5 321
Fax. 039482 -5 515