Kanamycin selection

Randall C Willis willis at gandalf.psf.sickkids.on.ca
Wed Feb 25 10:05:15 EST 1998

Jun-Ichi Aikawa wrote:

> What concentration of kanamycin is used for the section of recombinant E.
> coli? I bothered high background of non-recombinant clones. My conditions
> are as follows:
> kanamycin: 30 ug/ml in LB plate (according to Current Protocol)
> E. coli: XL2-Blue MRF, XL1-Blue, DH5a (commercial competent cell)
> plasmid: pBK-CMV, pEGFP-N1

I cannot speak specifically to your situation, but I do know that in my
lab we routinely use concentrations of kanamycin at 50ug/ml both in
liquid and in plates, and the colonies, while small, live.

Good luck,

Randall C Willis, Researcher
Biochemistry Research, Hospital for Sick Children
3522-555 University Ave
Toronto, ON
M5G 1X8  CANADA

416-813-5933 (ph)  -5022 (fax)
willis at gandalf.psf.sickkids.on.ca

Randall C Willis, Publisher
Aliquotes Press
Aliquotes: A Journal Of Molecular and Biochemical
              Humour and Information
58 Balfour Ave.
Toronto, ON
M4C 1T6  CANADA