Separation of tiny from large fragments using spin columns

Don Rollins drol at imnr.com
Fri Feb 27 14:43:03 EST 1998

Hello all!

I am trying to isolate a 100 bp fragment from a 10kb plasmid. I know
that DNA, especially small fragments, can be difficult to extract from
an agarose gel, let alone a high percentage gel. I recall reading of
some spin columns that could do the trick; instead of agarose gel
isolation, the digested plasmid would be loaded in the column and spun,
the small fragment would stick and the large fragment would be washed
through. The fragment could then be eluted off the column.

Has anyone heard of or used such a column?

Thanks in advance!

Jose E. N. Gonzales
The Immune Response Corporation
JOSEGONZ at IMNR>COM