Ubiquity of cDNA Sequences???

Carla Drebing Carla.Drebing at UCHSC.edu
Fri Feb 27 11:12:03 EST 1998

The human genome contains a gene we are interested in that has bits and
dabs of coding-like sequence in several locations.  One of these  codes
for a cDNA that appears to be true full length coding sequence.
However, there are other dabs of this sequence that appear in other
spots, not attached to full parts of this coding sequence.  We can
identify these shorter segments by polymorphisms present in shorter
amplifications from cDNA, polymorphisms not present in the 'full-length'
cDNA.  Does anyone have a reference for such an occurrence?  It appears
to be pieces of coding sequence inserted in various locations on one
chromosome, trying its best to recombine in a place where a new cDNA can
be made. We have not done a race to try and identify the further 5' or
3' parts of this sequence, although DNA evidence suggests parts of the
sequence are clearly defined exons, with differing introns flanking.
Does anyone have an idea how many cDNAs are made that are useless and
non-functional?  How often can upstream promotors and down stream
poly-adenylations promote translations of unusable, non-functional
cDNAs?  All thoughts welcome.

Carla Drebing
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
Denver, Colorado
Carla.Drebing at UCHSC.edu