Which is better: RPA or RT-PCR

Marisol Rodriguez Pena pena at chem.vu.nl
Tue Jan 6 12:14:32 EST 1998

Hi there!,
Firstable I have to tell you that I do not have practical experience in
RPA BUT I spent quite a lot of time reading about it a couple of months
ago when I had to check for the expression of a transgene in a
transgenic mouse. I finally decided to go for the RT-PCR aproach and
although I manage to get some specific bands relativelly fast, I had a
lot of problems with the specificity and sensitivity of the assay. In
any case, for me at that time both sample amount and weak expression
were limiting factors.
If I were you, and as you have PCR running I will try a couple of times
RT PCR (of course with the apropriate controls) with mRNA because it is
really fast. If you decided to move to RPA, Ambion has a lot of
information (no afiliation) about everything concerning RNA work,
including a KIT for RPA (not very cheap BTW).

Hope it helps

Greatings

Marisol
--
MS Rodriguez Pena, MD, phD
Department of Pharmacochemistry, Faculteit der Scheikunde