Which is better: RPA or RT-PCR

Marisol Rodriguez Pena pena at chem.vu.nl
Tue Jan 6 12:14:32 EST 1998

Hi there!,
Firstable I have to tell you that I do not have practical experience in
RPA BUT I spent quite a lot of time reading about it a couple of months
ago when I had to check for the expression of a transgene in a
transgenic mouse. I finally decided to go for the RT-PCR aproach and
although I manage to get some specific bands relativelly fast, I had a
lot of problems with the specificity and sensitivity of the assay. In
any case, for me at that time both sample amount and weak expression
were limiting factors.
If I were you, and as you have PCR running I will try a couple of times
RT PCR (of course with the apropriate controls) with mRNA because it is
really fast. If you decided to move to RPA, Ambion has a lot of
information (no afiliation) about everything concerning RNA work,
including a KIT for RPA (not very cheap BTW).

Hope it helps

MS Rodriguez Pena, MD, phD
Department of Pharmacochemistry, Faculteit der Scheikunde
Vrije Universiteit.
De Boelelaan 1083,
1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Tel: 31-20-4447572