Theoretical question: Is recombination efficiency cell cycle dependent?

paul gold paulgold at MVP.NET
Wed Jan 7 10:53:56 EST 1998

Dear Netters,

We've been making stables in CHO and LTK cells using lipofectamine
transfection.  Generally we've been happy with the results.  However, I
have to say that we use the transfection method pretty blindly.  Dump in
the DNA and two weeks later we get our clones and move on.  In our most
recent lab meeting we got off the subject of the moment (I'm sure this
never happens to anyone else!) and talked about recombination in
general.  The following question came up:  Are there points in the cell
cycle when recombination is favored?
Regards.

Paul Gold