Endotoxin Removal

Harry Witchel Harry.Witchel at Bristol.ac.Uk
Thu Jan 8 07:55:12 EST 1998

Wolfgang --
    For easy protocols (eg transfection of CHO) I do not think that endotoxin
removal is "necessary".  I have transfected plasmids growing in XL1 blue MRF' into
CHO using nothing more  than a standard Promega Wizard plus miniprep.  However, my
transfection efficiency under those circumstances dropped from 60-70% down to 30%.
I would think that if you were trying to transfect a tricky cell line with a
typically low transfectable efficiency, the loss in efficiency associated with
lipopolysaccharides would be undesirable.  Just as a reminder, you can greatly
reduce the LPS in your DNA prep just by washing your bugs once in .5 M NaCl before
starting the rest of your maxi/mini prep.
    Harry

--
Harry J. Witchel, Ph.D.
Dept. Physiology