Ultra-low temp. freezer

Pamela Norton pnorton at lac.jci.tju.edu
Fri Jan 9 10:47:26 EST 1998

In article <00017FBA.1959 at cancercare.on.ca>, Hoyun_Lee at cancercare.on.ca wrote:

>      We are considering to purchase an "ultra-low freezer" to replace our
>      liquid N2-based cell-storage tank. The freezer, therefore, should be
>      able to go down to -150 degree C or lower. I would appreciate very
>      much if someone can advise me on this.
>      Hoyun Lee, Ph.D.
>      Career Scientist/Asst. Prof.
>      NE Ontario Cancer Centre
>      Phone: (705) 523-7312 ext. 2703.
>      E-mail: Hoyun Lee at cancercare.on.ca

     We have a -140 C chest freezer, labeled on the front as a Cryostar. I
don't know if that's the manufacturer's name or a model number. In either
case, it has worked fine for about 5 years (knock on virtual wood), and is
certainly a lot more convenient than the liquid N2 contraptions. Cells and
tissues stored at this temperature seem to keep well.

     Pam Norton

Pamela A. Norton, Ph.D.          Associate Professor of Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University
Philadelphia, PA 19107           p_norton at lac.jci.tju.edu