Ultra-low temp. freezer

Pamela Norton pnorton at lac.jci.tju.edu
Fri Jan 9 10:47:26 EST 1998

In article <00017FBA.1959 at cancercare.on.ca>, Hoyun_Lee at cancercare.on.ca wrote:

>      We are considering to purchase an "ultra-low freezer" to replace our
>      liquid N2-based cell-storage tank. The freezer, therefore, should be
>      able to go down to -150 degree C or lower. I would appreciate very
>      much if someone can advise me on this.
>
>      Hoyun Lee, Ph.D.
>      Career Scientist/Asst. Prof.
>      NE Ontario Cancer Centre
>
>      Phone: (705) 523-7312 ext. 2703.
>      E-mail: Hoyun Lee at cancercare.on.ca

     We have a -140 C chest freezer, labeled on the front as a Cryostar. I
don't know if that's the manufacturer's name or a model number. In either
case, it has worked fine for about 5 years (knock on virtual wood), and is
certainly a lot more convenient than the liquid N2 contraptions. Cells and
tissues stored at this temperature seem to keep well.

     Pam Norton

--
Pamela A. Norton, Ph.D.          Associate Professor of Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University
Philadelphia, PA 19107           p_norton at lac.jci.tju.edu