Tm of RNA/RNA hybrids

Andy Phillips andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 07:29:43 EST 1998

Hi,

I've started using riboprobes for my Northerns and I want to calculate
the melting temperature of RNA:RNA hybrids, so that I can use a
reasonably stringent wash temperature. I would normally hybridise my
DNA:RNA Northerns at 42C in 5x SSC/50% formamide etc, and wash at 60-65C
in 0.1xSSc/0.1% SDS. I have formulae for DNA:DNA and
DNA:RNA; can anyone point me to an equivalent formula for RNA:RNA?

Thanks.

Andy

 Email : andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk  : University of Bristol
 Phone : +44-1275-549257            : IACR Long Ashton Research Station
 Fax   : +44-1275-394281            : Long Ashton, Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK
 WWW   : http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/molbiol/molbiol.html