best way to isolate bands from gels

Wolfgang Schechinger wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Jan 14 17:04:25 EST 1998

Hi, Josh, Bike + Linux (Is BIKE an operating system or do you have
invented a *mobile* LINUX bike operating system? DID YOU??

I would recommend GenElute centrufugation columns
from supelco for agarose gel extraction
Their catalog numbers are 5-5600 and 5-5601 (the latter has
(probably some activated charcoal) included for removing EtBr and
other dyes as bromophenolblue. Sigma/Supelco give away sample apcks
of two upon request.

The procedure is simple, easy and foolproof if you know how to
operate a scalpel, a pipette, a centrifuge and a waste bin

1) wash filter column by spinning with some water, TE or what you
like
2) put in cut out gel sclice with DNA band
3) spin for 10 min
4) throw away the filter
5) e.g. precipitate DNA in the elute with EtOH and acetate or LiCl or
use the solution directly.

Works fine every time, at least for standard molbio procedures.
I would't want to try agarase and other stuff.
Good luck!

Wolfi

> I'm interested in suggestions about the best way to isolate DNA
> fragments from agarose or acylaminde gels.  I wish to use the
> fragments for further amplification or as RFLP probes.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Josh
>
> PS
> I've heard Low-melting point agarose is used a lot for this?

-----
This message is RNAse free - please don't touch!
-----
Wolfgang Schechinger
University of Tuebingen
email: wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/research.htm
-------
!Junk mail is *not* appreciated!
SPAMs will be answered automatically by sending my 128MByte virtual memory file.
This is *NO* joke.
------
usual disclaimers apply
------