best way to isolate bands from gels

Ed Castro ecastro at biochem.medsch.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 14 16:24:05 EST 1998

The low tech way is to cut the band out, place it in a syringe to which
a 0.2uM filter has been attached and squeeze the gel.  Recover the
liquid that passes thru the filter, if you want you can add 100ul of TE
into the syringe barrel and squeeze again.

If you wish you can do an ethanol precipitation at that point in order
to clean and concentrate the sample.

As far as kits are concerned, the one that has given me the best results
is the one sold by Qiagen (...and I hate endorsing those guys).  I also
tried the Promega kit and that work fine.

Edmundo Castro-Vargas