best way to isolate bands from gels

Wolfgang Schechinger wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Jan 14 18:00:38 EST 1998

Dear Aimee! (Sounds a to me a bit like dear Dear or aim=E9e Aim=E9e...
;-)

All I can tell you is that the columns work fine for my purpose,
i.e. extracting PCR fragments, cut plasmids, cut out inserts and so
on. Recovery should be around 90%, you probably won't get much more
with other kits. The principle is similar to (derived from?) the
glass wool method from Maniatis. There are no membranes involved that
could have an exclusion size or so. Should work with your samples,
too, my belly-brain says.

I would suggest you get a free sample (hope it will be still free
after the whole world has read this and called Supelco...) and try it
out with a non-crucial sample or compare it to other brands and
methods with the sample split up. You could the examine cloning
efficiencies or simply measure DNA conc. and quality by A260 and
A280.

All I can add is that a representative from one of the major
biochemical companies (NO, I won't tell a name now, they're good in
other products) asked me what method I used for cleaning up my
agarose slices. S/he told me to use the columns further on and not to
buy the company's kit.

Wolfgang

> Hi!
>
> Sorry to bug you but this sounds too good to be true.  Whast are the
> limitations??  Like applicable size ranges or % recovery??  I have
> some precious chromosomal DNA that I am cutting with Hind III and
> extracting app. 6kb frags., but I need to revovery as much as
> possible.  Could this work for me??
>
> TIA
> Aimee T
-----
This message is RNAse free - please don't touch!
-----
Wolfgang Schechinger
University of Tuebingen
email: wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/research.htm
-------
!Junk mail is *not* appreciated!
SPAMs will be answered automatically by sending my 128MByte virtual memory=
 file.
This is *NO* joke.
------
usual disclaimers apply