STABILITY of solubilization buffer

Fri Jan 16 15:30:10 EST 1998

At 04:35 PM 1/16/98 GMT, Rocky Baker wrote:
>What is the stability of a protein solubilization solution containing
>Tris-Hcl, 4% SDS, 20% glycerol, and 10% 2-mercaptoethanol?
>Is this something I can prepare and store at room temp or 4 C until used
>or does it need to be made fresh?
>
>Rocky
>bakerroc at ccmail.orst.edu

Also known as the "Laemmli Sample Buffer" (pH6.8), it is stored at RT for
obvious reasons. However, unless the vessel is sealed properly, the
mercaptoethanol evaporates off to a large extent over time and the buffer
may need to be "spiked" with the same before use. Properly stored, it should
last a few months or longer. There is no need to make it up fresh. However,
since one needs very little each time, usually not a whole lot is made up at
a time. Reconstituting this buffer from stock solutions of 0.5M Tris.Cl,
pH6.8, 20%/10% SDS, glycerol and ME involves little effort if and when needed.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003