precipitation of very small DNA fragments

Frank O. Fackelmayer fof1 at chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de
Fri Jan 16 07:45:01 EST 1998

Hi all,
We are just setting up an experiment in which we have the need to
precipitate or desalt/concentrate VERY small oligonucleotides (between 4
and 12 bases long). Does anyone have an idea of how to do that? Obviously,
the oligos are too small to precipitate with ethanol. I though about
adsorption to a DEAE or DE-81 membrane, wash, and elute in a volatile
buffer of high ionic strength. Has anyone ever done that for such small
DNA molecules? I should add that we have only very small amounts of those
oligos (in the low ng range).

Thanks in advance
Frank