Hybridization enhancement

Karl Fischer tyr-2 at bones.biochem.ualberta.ca
Sun Jan 18 14:12:43 EST 1998

We are currently screening animals for a viraemia by dot-blot
hybridization with 32P-labelled DNA probes (detection limit approx. 0.5
pg). Our current protocol still involves overnight hybridization which
extends the turn-around time (serum to hyb result) to two days. My
question:

Does anyone know the components of Stratagene's QuikHyb hybridization
solution or a comparable rate-enhancer which we might use to reduce
hybridization time to 1-3 hours without reducing sensitivity appreciably?

Additional note - we already use PCR for genotyping of viraemia-positive
animals but would prefer not to PCR *all* sera as a routine assessment.

TIA

Karl the hepB guy