southern enigma

William Sun william at neuro.usc.edu
Wed Jan 21 16:55:42 EST 1998

Hello all,

I have a 600bp DNA fragment which I cut out of a plasmid, purified from agarose
gel with Gene Clean and labeled with 32P using random prime method.  I then
used the probe to screen a lamba ZAP cDNA library (Stratagene) and
isolated several clones.  I isolated the clones and cut the inserts out for
a southern blot.  I then hybridized the blot with the same 600bp probe.  To my
surprise, I don't see any signals on the inserts.  Instead, I see signals
representing the 3 kb Bluescript vector and the bands in the 1 kb ladder!
Anyone can think of an explanation?

William

--
William Sun, Ph.D                      Phone: (619) 622-3930
Metabasis Therapeutics, Inc.           FAX:   (619) 622-5545