Is a 15 na oligo ok for colony hybridization?

Tom Chappell t.chappell at
Mon Jan 26 11:52:15 EST 1998

In article <6aav58$svk$1 at>, rewhlab at (REWHLAB) wrote:

>I am trying to screen for the insertion of 15 bases into a gene that is cloned
>in a pUC based vector.  I do not have experience using oligos as probes for
>colony blots; does anyone know if a 32P-labelled 15 base oligo will work for
>screening colony blots?  Or is this oligo too small?
>rewhlab at

I've cloned a gene from a yeast genomic cosmid library with a 17mer,
basically you need to know the Tm. You'll be doing low temp hybridizations
(< RT) and you should go with TMAC washes.  Personally, I'd come up with a
PCR screen--unless there is something weird about what you are trying to
do, your worst case scenerio is screening a few hundred colonies by PCR.
This will be easier than getting the colony blots to work.

Tom Chappell
MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology
University College London

if you are adding me to your bulk e-mail list, please also add the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission at:

wkennard at