ethidium bromide: add to gel before pouring or stain afterwards

Roney Graf roney.graf at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Jul 2 03:44:07 EST 1998

In article <35996EFD.5A8D4DEB at emory.edu>, "Rick A. Bright"
<rbright at emory.edu> wrote:

> We have much success in our lab by nuking the gel to melt, then cool
> until bottle is touchable, add the EtBr and pour the gel.  Great bands,
> no mess, no staining time, no problems.

  Yup, that's the way I liked to do it ( but we don't do it this way in
this lab :/ ). There's only one thing to consider: if you have very crude
samples (like minipreps with tons of RNA running ahead of the DNA) or
preparative gels with very fat bands, it can happen that a fast-moving fat
band 'eats away' most of the EtBr in the lane, and bands following after
will show a weird migration behavior. The workarounds are obvious, of
course.

rg