BL21(DE3)pLys and chloramphenicol

Frank O. Fackelmayer fof1 at chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de
Tue Jul 7 02:02:11 EST 1998

No. Chloramphenicol resistance is on the pLys plasmid, and has nothing to do
with expression levels of your protein. You can easily leave it out of the
culture medium for expression, without the risk of losing pLys. It is a good
idea, though, to have chloramphenicol in the medium you use for growing
bacteria before transformation, so you can be sure all bacteria have the pLys plasmid.