Pittsburgh: Great Science. Quality of Life?

stebby at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu stebby at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Tue Jul 7 15:39:41 EST 1998

In article <v03130306b1c07edf8902@[128.147.90.84]>,
  scorey+ at PITT.EDU (seth corey) wrote:

> This is not really the venue to comment on cities,

Why not?  You're the one who gave the plug for Pittsburgh. I've
actually been enjoying this thread.  How often do you see a commercial
followed by a rebuttal?  Personally, I liked Pittsburgh when I dropped
by one week to visit a friend at Carnegie Mellon and a buddy who worked
on the production staff of Mr Roger's Neighborhood (no joke).  However,
I did not get a feel for public transportation, neighborhoods, etc. and
that's a reasonable thing for a post-doc to want to know.  Why sugar
coat and risk things turning out to be less than advertised?
If someone's got a different opinion...bring it on!  The beauty of
working at Johns Hopkins is that you *can't* sugar coat Baltimore ;o)
The biggest annoyance I experienced during my visit to Pittsburgh was
that every time we wanted to get somewhere, we were always on the
*other* side of a river and we had travel to a bridge and cut
backwards...no big deal for a visitor, but maybe that grates after a
while.

> my apt and my car loan was still less than what i paid for apt rent
> in newton or brookline.

Jeez, I'd hope so!  When I was a post-doc I paid over $600.00/month for
one bed-room apartments in Watertown and Cambridge.  Worse yet, these
were considered good deals.  Brookline and Newton???  If they were nice
I'm guessing you were $100.00 over me, no?  When I moved to Baltimore
my rent dropped $200.00/mo. for a comparable space.

Someone other than Seth wrote:
> >And Pgh is one town where a fat guy without a tan can take his shirt
> >off and feel right at home!

Well now we're talking quality of life!  As I continue to work on
developing my belly roll this is becoming more and more important!

Seriously, a potential post-doc in an academic setting has already
accepted the fact that after 4--7 years of graduate training they will
now be rewarded with a salary below or equal to that of a technician
and frequently without the benefits.  There is nothing wrong with
considering the quality of one's life during this time.  As I tell
those looking at our lab or any other...consider the science, the
reputation of the lab, the interactions between people in the
lab/department and the city in which you'll live.  The weightings one
gives these components depends on personal goals and needs.  There is
no shame in choosing a post-doc based on cost of living, amenable
surroundings, or lifestyle decisions.

Regards,
Steve Dahl