HELP! Desperately need a dot blot method

Frank O. Fackelmayer fof1 at chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de
Tue Jul 7 02:37:49 EST 1998

Hi Cathy,
We´ve just done such blotting with samples from a 96-well tray. What we did
was to mix DNA (in this case 5ul of a miniprep) with 300ul of 0.5M NaOH, 1.5M
NaCl (denaturation buffer using in library screening; actually we used this
buffer because it was available in the lab. I guess that any alkaline
denaturation will work equally well). Then, we transferred this solution into
a "convertible" dot blot apparatus with its 96-well, 6mm top plate (Life
Technologies, no affilitation), and slowly blotted the samples onto a nylon
membrane. Of course, any dot blot apparatus will work. After blotting, we
added 300ul of denaturation buffer to the wells for washing. The membrane was
removed, briefly rinsed in lots of TE, then air-dried, and UV crosslinked.
Hybridization worked like a charm.
Hope this helps.
Frank