siliconizing solution?

Annette Markus markusa at NEURO.WUSTL.EDU
Thu Jul 9 14:59:04 EST 1998

Dear netters,

I' ve been using a silicone solution in isopropanol sold by Serva
company to
silanize pasteur pipettes for use in tissue dissociation. This prevents
fragile
cells from sticking to the glass and getting killed by shearing forces.

Do you have any idea where I might purchase this (or a similar) solution
in the
US? As yet I' ve not been able to find a US address of Serva. Or do you
know
the "recipe" for this stuff? Or would Sigmacote solution be appropriate
for use
in cell culture ? It is based on heptane as a solvent, not isopropanol.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Annette Markus
Dept of Neurology, Washington University, St. Louis, MO