Sphingomyelinase and apoptosis

Prof. Luisa Dusonchet dusonc at unipa.it
Thu Jul 9 07:19:22 EST 1998

Dear collegues,
we need to evaluate the ability of exogenous acid sphingomyelinase in
inducing apoptosis in some tumor cell lines in vitro. For this purpose,
some authors (Zhang H et al. AACR 1998, abstract n. 3955) exposed the
cells to an acid medium (pH 6.0); however, in our experiments this pH
induces irreversible damages in our cell lines. Does anyone know how it
is possible to reproduce these experimental conditions without lethally
damaging the cells?
                                                 thanks,
                                                                   Dr.
Meli