DNA* and Jotun Hein Alignments

Rick A. Bright rbright at emory.edu
Mon Jul 13 21:52:16 EST 1998

I had a similar problem with LaserGene (DNASTAR) alignment.  I had an
endless amount of memory and it still ran out of memory on mac and pc.
So, I talked to the company. Seems the Jotun Hein is not to be used for
2 sequence alignment as I was trying to use it (pairwise alignment).  It
is used for a series of "closely related" sequences to determine the
homology.  If the two sequences are not "closely related" and I don't
mean a template and a primer relationship, the algorithm tries to store
endless relationships and alignments to look for the family
relationship.  THIS WILL ALWAYS RUN OUT OF MEMORY IF USED INCORRECTLY!!!

Try writing to Lasergene folks for more info.

Rick Bright