G-418, neomycin, kanamycin and gentamicin

Eugene ronlab at uic.edu
Tue Jul 14 13:50:52 EST 1998

Cornelius Krasel wrote:

> Simon Dawson <Simon.Dawson at nott.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone knows whether G-418 for use in establishing stable
> > eukaryotic cell lines is interchangeable with either kanamycin,
>
> No. Kanamycin doesn't inhibit the growth of eukaryotes.
>
> > neomycin,
>
> No. Neomycin needs a different resistance marker.
>
> > gentamicin
>
> Yes (AFAIK).
>
> --Cornelius.

Note that G418 is also called neomycin (!) sulfate and in a number of vector
systems the same marker is used to select bacteria on kanamycin and eukaryotes on
G418. The resistance marker is called neomycin (!) phosphotransferase or simply
"neo".
Gentamicin is often used as a supplement in mammalian cell culture to suppress
bacterial growth. Thus, I doubt that it is efficient in selecting mammalian cells
for neo - resistance. I have seen people mistaking it for "Geneticin" (another
name for G418)

Eugene
u09577 at uic.edu