cells in N2-SAFETY HAZARDS

Martin Offterdinger a8803349.nospam at unet.univie.ac.at
Wed Jul 15 02:17:39 EST 1998

Hi !
Some years ago I wanted to thaw a cell line from liquid N2 storage;
the fitting wasnt tight enough and the nunc-vial exploded during
thawing in my hands. I was lucky and did not have been injured
seriously. Some days ago I again wanted to thaw cells and saw liquid
N2 inside the vial and did not thaw the cells for obvious reasons. I
would like to know what is the worst case cenario if a vial explodes
in your hands and what precautions should be taken.
Do you know of any accidents that have occured? What about Cryoflex,
do you use it, routinely and what are your experiences. This is of
special importance to me because my boss is not convinced to spend
money on htis safety precautions! I should also mention that N2(l)
only very rarely enters the cryovial, but it still does happen!
I am looking forward to a discussion!
Martin
Martin Offterdinger
Internal Med.I,Dept. Oncology