query re ABI 373 consummables

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 15 04:18:37 EST 1998

In article <35ABB765.8C45A14C at linknet.net>, Arthur Q. Villordon
<aqv13 at linknet.net> writes
>We would like to inquire if there is a comparable
>kit (by another vendor) that works with the machine. We have made some
>phone calls (Sig/Ald, B-M, Stratagene) but only Amersham/Pharmacia
>supplies a comparable kit to that supplied by the machine's maker. We
>would appreciate some more leads in this respect

Quite simple. The early dyes used on ABI machines have only ever been
licensed once, to Amersham now Amersham Pharmacia Biotech. The return
cross-licensing was something like access to Sequenase for use on ABI
sequencing machines. The BigDyes and rhodamine dyes are exclusive to PE-
ABI. The DYEnamic primers are exclusive to Amersham Pharmacia Biotech.
Hence only two suppliers of sequencing dye kits for ABI machines. Not
quite a monopoly but that is life with patents and exclusive technology
nowadays.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark