skin contact with acrylamide

Annette C. Hollmann ah690549 at bcm.tmc.edu
Tue Jul 21 09:40:31 EST 1998

In article <35B3CE58.43CE at bcc.orst.edu> fordb at bcc.orst.edu writes:

>Ford replies:

snip

>reversibility is also well documented. I recommend that lab workers
>avoid the use of powdered acrylamide as much as possible. Instead, I'd
>suggest using the available acrylamide/bisacrylamide e.g. 19:1 40%
>premixes, since there is much lower likelihood of inhalating these. But
>again one needs to be aware of, and limit dermal exposures.

There is a very simple trick to avoid exposure while weighing out
acrylamide:

Get a container with a lid
Tare that container
In the fume hood, put acrylamide into the container
Close the container, and wipe off any dust on the outside with a damp
paper towel
Weigh the closed container

That way, you don't get exposed, and neither does the unsuspecting person
who enters the lab while you're weighing out acrylamide.

Annette