stratacoolers

D. KIM dkim at NMSU.Edu
Wed Jul 22 09:43:40 EST 1998

WRT Michael's problem of the gel expansion on freezing:

Our lab manager found that the gel in Stratacoolers is mixed with expanded
polystyrene (styrofoam) beads.  These compress when the gel expands,
keeping the gel from bursting the container.  This may be worth pursuing,
if you wish to make your own coolers.

Daniel Kim

Michael J. Prigge <prigge at darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:
: > ---- Begin Original Message ----
: > Hello all,
: >
: > I am looking for an alternative to Stratagen's Stratacoolers for storin=
: > g
: > enzymes. Yes, I've used foam boxes in the past, but my boss likes the
: > Stratacoolers for maintaining the enzymes at -10C in a frost free
: > freezer. However, these Stratacoolers are not cheap. I'm hoping that
: > there is a competing product out there somewhere. Please reply only to
: > the news group.
: >
: > Thanks,
: > Steve Swift
: >
: > ---- End Original Message ----

: Several years ago, I made my own by drilling holes into a polypropylene
: 'tupperware' container and glueing in some polypropylene tubes in which
: 1.5 mL tubes fit (trimmed down 15 mL corning conical tubes, I think). I
: also inserted some 1.5 mL tubes for holding 0.6 mL tubes. I filled the
: container with the non-toxic gel kind of 'ice blocks' that various
: companies send with enzyme shipments. If anyone tries this, please take
: into account for the expansion of the gel upon re-freezing. It is not as
: pretty as the stratacooler, but it's functional. (I use mine for holding
: enzymes while setting up reactions--not for storage. It cools well enough
: that a tube of water placed in it will freeze.)
: mike

: Michael Prigge                          Phone: (541) 346-4256
: Institute of Molecular Biology            Fax: (541) 346-5891
: University of Oregon /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\ /\\