How to PAGE purify oligos?

David Hills david.hills at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 23 10:49:31 EST 1998

Try running your oligo on a denaturing polyacrylamide gel (try a high %
eg 20 ). Run quite a lot of oligo ;) - I used to do 2 to 5 OD (I know
it's a lot!!). The oligo can be visualized by lifting the gel onto an
intensifying screen and illuminating with a UV lamp. A "shadow is seen.
Cut out the band and elute by soaking into TE overnight.
I used this to purify >20 oligos for making a synthetic gene 10 years ago
and it worked well and is pretty straight forward. Many of my oligos were
50bases  long too.
Cheers,
Dave