carrier DNA

Frederik Boernke boernke at nospam.ipk-gatersleben.de
Fri Jul 24 11:28:34 EST 1998

Q. Guo wrote:

> Hi, you all.
> Can I use the S. Sperm DNA which is sheared for Southern blot in two
> hybrid's cotransformation?  It cost me $165 to just buy the
> sonicated carrier DNA from Clontech.
> Thanks.

Hi!

I would say it depends on the average fragment size of your DNA which is
critical for high efficiency. It should be between 2 and 15 kb
(see Schiestl and Gietz, Curr Genet (1989) 16: 339 - 346). If it is not
just prepare your own carrier DNA it's pretty easy in my hands works
even better than the commercial ones.

Good Luck
Ricky

Frederik Boernke