Can eukaryotic promoter direct gene expression in prokaryotes??

Frederik Boernke boernke at nospam.ipk-gatersleben.de
Fri Jul 24 11:23:15 EST 1998

Jaishree Muppala Chittoor wrote:

> Hi,
> I have this burning question!  Can eukaryotic promoter direct gene
> expression in prokaryotes.  I am particularly interested in plant
> promoters and the possibility of the expression in bacterial system
> say agrobacterium.
>
> jaishree
> [jaishre at plantpath.ksu.edu]

Hi!

I know that promoters from yeast show at least basal expression in
E. coli. Of this you take advantage when you complement the respective
E. coli mutant with yeast auxotrophic markers (leu/trp/ura) to select
for a desired plasmid out of a mixed plasmid population.

Ricky

Frederik Boernke
Corrensstr. 3
06466 Gatersleben